Monday, July 28, 2008

This Bud's Not for You

There's something you should know about me before this goes any further. You will find out sooner or later, so I might as well tell you now. I have TBD.

I don't expect you to understand, or to even accept this part of my life. It's not something I can help. It's just the way I am. I've been ashamed of it most of my life. But now that I realize that it's just a part of my being and that I have no control over it, I am learning to deal with the social stigma of it.

In case there may be someone who is not familiar with TBD, let me explain. TBD stands for Taste Bud Disorder. Apparently, some of us have abnormal taste buds. At first, I just thought I was weird. I can't tell you how many times I've heard,
"Ewwww...what is wrong with you? You're putting mayonnaise on a hot dog?"

I felt ashamed. But it wasn't just my mayo appetite. It was a whole range of disorders. I don't eat onions, but I love onion rings. I don't like nuts in my cake, cookies, or ice cream, but I like nuts. I'm not crazy about watermelon, but I love watermelon flavored gum.

I've denied some of the more perverse desires that I used to indulge. I no longer eat ketchup on my eggs. I no longer eat globs of mayo from the spoon. I rarely even lick the spoon any more after making a sandwich.

Whew. It feels good to confess. I needed to get this off of my chest. I hope I'm not grossing you out. I haven't even mentioned my love for fried spam or the way I eat vienna sausages straight out of the can when I'm fishing. Did you know that the juice in the vienna sausage can hardens into a gel in cold weather? Pretty tasty, too.

Sorry. I guess we all have different tastes. Mine just strays a little further than others. But there's one thing I am sure we can agree on. The Psalmist and I definitely have similar taste buds when it comes to the goodness of God.

David wrote, "Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good..." (Psalm 34:8). Yes! God is good! Even MY taste buds can agree to that.

Headed to the Pantry,
Perry Crisp

No comments: