Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Keep Roadkill Legal!

God spoke through the prophet Ezekiel saying, "I sought for a man among them who would make a wall, and stand in the gap before Me on behalf of the land, that I should not destroy it; but I found no one" (22:30).

I saw something recently that I never thought I would see in Texas. I was traveling down a two-lane road when I noticed both lanes of traffic were stopped ahead of me.

I thought maybe a child was crossing the road. Possibly a dog. Or perhaps I was being delayed by cat lovers protecting a wandering feline from people like me.

It wasn't a child or a dog or even a cat. It was an armadillo! Twelve cars were stopped so an armadillo could cross the road safely. I was amazed.

If you haven't been to Texas, Armadillos are to Texas highways what blankets were at Woodstock - they're everywhere! Armadillos are most commonly seen on the side of the road with all fours pointing toward heaven.

I've seen a few cars swerve to miss armadillos. I've seen cars aim for armadillos. But I'd never seen traffic stop for the shell-covered, lawn-terrorist...until now.

Can't you see the headlines? "Texans Join Forces to Save Armadillos." It won't be long now until I see a bumper sticker with a picture of an armadillo and the slogan,
"No More Roadkill!"

People today will stand in the gap for almost anything. Especially if it isn't human. They will place their bodies between trees and timber companies to keep the trees from being cut down. They will buy millions of acres to keep endangered species from becoming extinct. They will run a marathon to save whales or even attach bumper stickers to their $50,000 vehicles that read,
"I Brake for Armadillos!"

But who will stand in the gap for his neighbor? Who will step between sin in a friend and salvation in a Savior and become that bridge through whom an eternal connection is made?

Will you? If not, then who?

Standing in the gap - not shopping at it.
Perry Crisp

No comments: