Monday, April 12, 2010

What Was the Question?

One afternoon when my daughter, Tori, was 3 or 4 years old, she was spending some quality time with her parents. She was a cute, bright-eyed, blonde-haired little girl with lots of questions. She will be 20 soon and still, in my unbiased opinion, fits the above description, yet without as many questions.

I don't recall exactly what prompted me to ask Tori a question, but I will never forget my question nor her answer. Whatever she said prior to my question caused me to laugh. Then I asked, "Tori, you're not gonna be one of those dumb blondes, are you?" I expected a giggle and a "Noooooo" in reply.

She gave me something better. Her face went serious. She furrowed her cute little eyebrows, turned to her mom and asked, "Is me, mommy?"

Sometimes, questions answer themselves.

Thankfully, she is anything but dumb and has excelled in academics and athletics (with only rare visits to Dumb Blondeville). But that moment was classic. Don't you love those types of memories? The joy of reminiscing and remembering the blessings and special times of life is a valuable gift.

Spring has finally decided to spring. The trees and grass remember how to turn green again. The birds have remembered their songs. The momma deer remembers how to nurture her newborn. This is a good day to reminisce. A good time to think back over the blessings of God in your life.

The Psalmist wrote, "I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember Your miracles of long ago" (Psalm 77:11, NIV). Miracles don't have to defy the laws of nature to be miraculous. Something as natural as an unforgettable moment between a parent and a child can rank among the miraculous and is worthy of celebration. File it under the miracle of life, of love, or of unexpected surprises.

Stop what you're doing right now. Take a moment to reminisce. To cherish. To treasure what and who belongs in your box of valuable memories. Then smile and thank God for His miracles.

Do you remember?
Perry Crisp

No comments: