Thursday, January 31, 2008

Fool's Gold

"The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God'" (Psalm 14:1, 53:1...it's in there twice because God knew some would say "huh?" the first time they read it).

But, have you noticed that when that fool gets angry, he suddenly becomes religious and can talk to and about nothing else? "Where is God when I need Him?" "How could God let this happen?" "If You loved me, You would help me out of this mess!"

As a full time believer in God, I find unbelievers' views fascinating, perplexing, and often quite disturbing. I've known people who get mad at a God they only believe in when they get mad at God.

I don't know what else to call that but reverse hypocrisy. Followers of Christ are always being slammed as "hypocrites," and we often deserve it. Our lives don't always reflect our testimonies of faith.

But if I'm a hypocrite when I don't live what I believe, then what do we call a person who doesn't believe in God, yet frequently flings a complaint toward heaven? If there is no God, why ring His doorbell at the midnight hour of your suffering?

Makes no sense. In fact, it's downright fool-i-s-h. Ah! God must be right. Why would a non-existent God set up a complaint department?

The truth is...God does exist and we all know that truth innately. "What may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them" (Romans 1:19).

We don't have to like the fact that God exists because God created us with a free will. But He does exist. I don't like broccoli, but I know the vile weed exists!

We can willfully believe anything, regardless of how far it bends the needle past the stupid meter.

Maybe I'm asking too much. If the Bible says that atheism is for fools, then how can I expect a fool to act any other way than foolish?

Oh, by the way...for anyone reading this who truly believes there is no God, you might be interested to know that God Himself said, "there is no God." He sure did. You might check that verse out because what greater evidence to support your theory than for God Himself to say "there is no God?" It's in Deuteronomy 32:39.

Couldn't Resist,
Perry Crisp

No comments: