Monday, February 4, 2008

Dandy Dandling


"On her sides shall you be carried, and be dandled on her knees" (Isaiah 66:12). Dandled? Am I the only English-speaking person to have never heard that word before?

God, speaking through Isaiah, compared His tender care and comfort to that of a loving, nurturing mother. But dandled?

I am the product of my upbringing, so I naturally assumed being "dandled" on your mom's knees meant you were getting a whuppin'. But no. It doesn't mean that at all.

Dandling is when a mom sits her baby on her lap and creates a vibrating sensation by rapidly jostling the baby up and down. The Amplified Bible puts it like this: "you will be carried on her hip and trotted [lovingly bounced up and down] on her knees."

I've seen dandling all along and didn't know it! I've been dandled! Though I'm not a mom, I've even dandled! If smiles, giggles, and drool are any indication of success, I'm a pretty good dandler.

Come to think of it, dandling for a baby is like a ride at Six Flags. It's pretty cool. Especially if your dandler dandles with speed. (Hey, back off...I've found a new word and I want to play with it).

You realize God is talking about Himself and how He cares for us. What an incredible picture of God. Most see God as the jolly mean giant with hands on hips standing over us with furrowed brow.

But God shows a softer side. He carries us on His hip and dandles us on His knee. I don't know about you, but I get tired and need to be carried. Physically? No. But spiritually and emotionally? Absolutely.

Being carried is one thing. But being dandled evokes a whole new scene in my mind. Me and you on the Father's lap, facing Him. He's holding us. He's bouncing us. He's focused on us. We are focused on Him. We smile. He laughs.

Nothing can hurt us. Nothing can separate us. His hands are strong. His knees secure. We are safe. We are loved.

I can face the day now. Can't you?

Dandled by Deity,
Perry Crisp

No comments: