Monday, March 3, 2008

Don't Make Me Repeat Myself

There is a two-letter prefix that I find reappearing in my walk with God on a regular basis. I'm thankful for this prefix. I need this prefix more than I care to admit. I've already used it in the first sentence (tenth word, if you want to re-read it). Yep...there it is again: "re-".

The prefix "re-" is a huge part of our existence. It speaks to the nature of humanity because we mess up so much. We start and stop and need to redo this and retype that. We need "re-" in every part of our lives. "Re-" is the do-over attachment of life. It is the mulligan of man.

Jesus told Nicodemus he needed to be reborn (John 3). The Bible tells us to return to God (Zechariah 3), repent of our sins (Mark 1:15), and renew our strength (Isaiah 40:31). Jesus, our Redeemer, redeems all who will receive Him. Jesus told His followers, "Remember Me." "Re-" is everywhere!

Believers have always needed times of revival and refreshing. Every year, millions of believers rededicate their lives openly and publicly to Christ. We take retreats so that we can rekindle our passion, rediscover our feelings, reestablish our connections with God, and repair our relationships with one another.

We need "re-". I need "re-". I rediscovered a passage of Scripture that I needed today and will need to be reminded of tomorrow: Jeremiah 24:6-7, "For I will set My eyes on them for good, and I will bring them back to this land; I will build them and not pull them down, and I will plant them and not pluck them up. Then I will give them a heart to know Me, that I am the Lord; and they shall be My people, and I will be their God, for they shall REturn to Me with their whole heart."

Let me know if any of this needs to be reworded,
Perre- Crisp
(Great! I have a prefix suffixed to my name!)

No comments: