Monday, January 26, 2009

Work of Art

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb" (Psalm 139:13 NIV).

Womb memories are hard to come by. Try as I may, I cannot remember anything of those nine months in my mother's womb. Am I alone or does everyone suffer from amniotic amnesia?

There is One who remembers. God remembers. He has never forgotten our nine-month incubation process. He remembers piecing us together, bit by bit. It's quite a remarkable thing God did when He created you and me. He weaved sinews and nerves, organs and arteries, flesh and bones into a masterful creation.

You probably already receive more compliments than you know what to do with, but may I add one more? You are a masterpiece! Even those of you whom I have never seen -- I know it's true.

How do I know? Because God is a magnificent creator. You and I are His handiwork. We are something to behold. Not because of who we are, but because of who God is.

The Psalmist recognized the involvement of God in the invention of people. He described God as a master weaver whose knitting needles work miracles.

God is quite familiar with you. He created you with purpose and design and has a specific purpose and design for your life. What it may be, I do not know. But I know you are an original, created for something special. And I know God wouldn't go to so much trouble to create such a masterpiece as you -- and then hide His purpose from you. Ask Him. Keep asking Him. Keep believing that He will show you.

The more you realize the significance of your identity, the more caution you will use in the conduct of your life.

Would you hang a famous work of art over a pig pen? No. Would you drive a $100,000 sportscar in a demolition derby? Never.

Then be careful with the masterpiece that is YOU. Keep it away from slop and destruction. Originals are hard to come by.

The One and Only, (did I hear you say, "Thank God!"?)
Perry Crisp

*This Morning With God devotional books are still available. We have about 25 left. You can click on the following link to order your copy ($30 plus shipping):
http://www.lakeforkbaptist.org/perrybook.htm

No comments: